Brahmi is known all over the world by its scientific name ‘Bacopa monnieri’. It will be more appropriate to say that Brahmi is the Sanskrit name for Baccopa Monnieri (Latin) and Thyme leaved Gratiola as it is called in English.It is considered as a wonder herb in Ayurveda. Brahmi is widely reputed to improve such mental functions as memory and alertness or to lessen or prevent damage to brain cells.
Brahmi is acknowledged worldwide for relieving nervous congestion and strain from them, as it possesses ushan virya potency; thereby it reduces vata dosha, which is main culprit in causing such problems. Due to presence of tickt rasa, brahmi easily penetrates into the tissues thus giving soothing feel.
The leaves of this plant can be suitably described as tender and juicy; and comparatively more solid. The leaves are inversely lanceolate i.e. to be precise is lance-shaped but broadest above the middle and tapering toward the base. The flowers are small and white, with four or five petals.
Owing to its ability to grow in water makes it a popular aquarium plant. It commonly grows in marshy areas throughout India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, China, Taiwan, and Vietnam, and is also found in Florida and other southern states of the USA where it can be grown in damp conditions by the pond or bog garden.
Brahmi meaning what gives knowledge of Brahman i.e. Supreme Reality. Brahmi is perhaps the most important nervine herb used in Ayurvedic medicine. It revitalizes the brain cells, removing toxins and blockages within the nervous system, while at the same time have a nurturing effect upon the mind. It improves memory and aids in concentration. Himalayan Brahmi is an important food for Yogis and improves meditation. A small amount of the fresh leaves is eaten daily for its rejuvenating effect upon the mind. Brahmi helps awaken the crown chakra and balance the right and left hemispheres of the brain. It calms the heart and helps guard against heart attack.
Brahmi helps us give up bad habits and addictions of all types. It aids in recovery from alcholism or drug abuse, and also helps us kick the sugar habit. For this reason it is added to many Ayurvedic formulas as a nervine and antispasmodic agent. It is cleansing to the blood, improves the immune, allays excess sexual desire, and is excellent for venereal diseases. Brahmi have a wide range of medicinal uses but few of the most basic benefits have been summarized as follows:
- It improves intelligence level and mind alertness
- It helps in maintaining mental calmness and has an appetite for stress
- It helps in improving mental performance and increasing learning capacity
- It is helpful in increasing mental concentration level
- It has good effects on patients suffering from insomnia
- It helps in relieving them with all their stress and makes them feel good and relaxed
- Brahmi helps in decreasing anxiety and mental fatigue and promotes freshness in your mind
- It is also very effective in depression related problems
- It helps in rejuvenating there lost energies and makes them feel good and relaxed
- It helps in maintaining lowering blood pressure to the normal level
- It is very useful in maintaining normal body temperature thus relieving body from hyperthermia and fevers
- It is also very effective in treating menstrual disorders and painful menses
- Brahmi also finds its application in cough and cold related problem
- It is used to attain long life while having energy just like a youth. Brahmi works as an antioxidant and retards aging thus keep the person young and youthful.
Brahmi is used in Vietnamese cuisine. In Vietnam Brahmi is known as rau dang. It is used in chao ca, a variety of rice congee made with fish and nam tram mushrooms.